This web site is hosted on a Macintosh SE/30 running NetBSD. First introduced in 1989, it's quite possibly the best compact Mac ever made. I know I really wanted one back in the day, but it was way out of my price range. Here's what it looks like today, on my "poor man's rackmount system":
Nowadays, of course, I got everything above for free. From left to right, we have a (partially concealed) U.S. Robotics Sportster 14.4 modem (I paid ~$100 for one of these things in 1994), a double-speed external SCSI CD-ROM drive, an external SCSI disk, and then the SE/30 itself. (The modem is only used for remote dialin; this website is served through an Ethernet card, more below.)
The external drive has been upgraded; I took out the old 330MB disk and put in a 4GB one. Unfortunately, the internal SCSI connector on the SE/30 is shot, so an external drive is necessary.
The Mac's been modified as well. The SE/30 can handle an amazing 128MB of RAM (in 1989, you were rich if you had 4MB), but I've only got 32MB in there now. The SE/30 ROMs were not "32-bit clean", so you needed hacks to use more than 8MB of RAM. However, a buddy of mine found a couple of Mac IIsi's which had removeable ROM (this was pretty rare; only the very first IIsi's were like this). I already have a IIsi, so I swapped out the ROM and now the SE/30 doesn't need MODE32 or any of that.
The Ethernet card is an Asante Mac Conn II/30; it only has 10Base2 (coax) and AUI (Attachment Unit Interface) sockets. I need an AUI-to-10BaseT converter (not shown) to hook it up to my firewall.
|Processor||Motorola 68030, 16MHz|
|RAM||32MB (128MB max)|
|CD-ROM||2x (300KB/sec), CD & CD-R media|
|Modem||14.4 baud data, 9600 baud FAX|
Note that, on our LAN, it's much faster than you see here. We're now on cable instead of DSL, so the upload cap is higher, but the limiting factor is still the network and not the SE/30. Doing a wget of the entire site took six minutes from an external site with good bandwidth, but less than a minute and a half from inside the firewall.
Since I did that benchmark, I've decided to cheat a little and move almost all of the images to the "free webspace" my ISP offers. The site isn't exactly image-heavy anyway, but every little bit helps.